Apple just launched their 2018 lineup of smartphones and watch, the iPhone XR, XS XS Max, and the Apple Watch series 4.
The iPhones XS and XS Max are upgrades of last years iPhone X, and the main attraction is the new A12 chip, that is fitted in the base model, XR, as well.
The iPhone XR is the most interesting device here since it offers a similar design to the more expensive models while being cheaper. The base model of the XR with 65 GB of RAM still costs, however, USD 749, with the 256 model costing USD 899.
This is comparable to a Samsung S9+ with the same amount of RAM, but with much better screen and camera, so the budget angle that Apple is taking with the XR is a bit deceptive at the very least.
The XR has an LCD panel instead of an Oled one like the XS and XS Max, and in the back, there is only one camera instead of two like on the top models.
The screen on the XR model is bigger than the XS screen but does have a lower resolution, so it will be interesting to see how sharp and vibrant the panel is in real life use.
Finally, the XR comes in a myriad of colors: Blue, coral (pink), yellow, white, black and Product Red.
iPhone XS and XS Max
The XS and the XS Max are pretty similar to last years iPhone X, with some interesting upgrades:
- The A12 chip fitted in these years models is, of course, a lot more powerful than last years A11. Apple has upgraded the Neural Engine, now an eight-core unit. The core of the A11 could handle up to 600 billion operations per second, the new one can handle up to 5 trillion. Overall, Apple claims that the A12 chip is 50 percent faster than the A11 while using 40% less power.
- The iPhone XS Max has a massive 6.5-inch OLED HDR (Super Retina) screen. The XS has the same screen as last years iPhone X: 5.8-inch.
- Both models are IP68 certified, which means that it can be submerged up to 2m.
- The XS models come in 3 different RAM configurations: 64 GB, 256 GB, and a massive 512 GB of RAM.
- Finally, the XS models will also be available in a new gold color, next to the silver and space gray finishes
iPhone XS and XS Max specifications
- Two sizes: 5.8-inch (458 ppi) and 6.5-inch (458 ppi), with OLED HDR screen (Super Retina displays)
- Colors: Gold, silver, and space gray finishes
- Dual camera: 12-megapixel wide and telephoto lenses
- Front-facing cameras: the 7-megapixel camera will bring depth to portrait mode photos
- A12 Bionic chip: 7-nanometer processor promises to launch apps 30 percent faster than 2017 iPhones
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 512GB
- IP68 water-resistance rating (2 meters depth; up to 30 minutes in water)
- Battery life: iPhone XS should last 30 minutes longer than iPhone X; iPhone XS Max claims 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone X
- Dual-SIM card support through eSIM technology
- Face ID promises to work faster at unlocking the phones
- 3D Touch pressure-sensitive screen
- Stereo sound with a wider stereo field than 2017 iPhones
- iOS 12 software
iPhone XR specifications
- 6.1-inch LCD screen with 1,792×828-pixel resolution and 326ppi (Retina display)
- Aluminum body with glass back
- Single camera: 12-megapixel wide-angle lens, with OIS (same as iPhone XS)
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Portrait mode photos through software
- FaceID with same True-Depth camera system as iPhone XS
- A12 Bionic chip
- Battery life claim: 1.5 hours more per day than the iPhone 8 Plus
- IP67 water resistance
- No 3D Touch on iPhone XR. Instead, you get a haptic touch, like a trackpad
- iOS 12 software
- Colors: Blue, coral (pink), yellow, white, black, Product Red
Pricing and Availability
- iPhone XR (available October 26th):
- 64 GB: $749
- 128 GB: $799
- 256 GB: $899
- iPhone XS (available September 21st)
- 64 GB: $999
- 256 GB: $1,149
- 512 GB: $1,349
- iPhone XS Max (available September 21st)
- 64 GB: $1,099
- 256 GB: $1,249
- 512 GB: $1,449